A great place to live!
Hillington Square, owned by Freebridge Community Housing, is in the middle of a multiphase regeneration, with a masterplan developed by Hemingway Design, with further input from mae architects and implemented by Lovell.
It has won several awards, including
It is an ongoing project, expected to run until 2021, and at June 2018, 203 properties had been refurbished, with 89 more pending
referenced in https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploa...
Cabinet member for housing Nigel Long said: “The council is strongly committed to improving the 14,000 homes it owns. We are also committed to building and acquiring new homes. “But there is so much more to do. We need the freedom to borrow to invest. If the government removed the cap on our ability to borrow we would invest millions more.” The housing spend totals £53.992m. Almost half of this comes from the council’s revenue contributions, while £18.7m is from the major repairs allowance fund. The biggest new build scheme will be at Franklin Croft in Wolverton. Here MK Council plans to spend £916,860 on new houses to rent to future tenants. A smaller portion – £5.76m – will come from the council’s capital receipts. This is money generated by selling off assets such as houses under the right to buy scheme.
Campaigners urge Milton Keynes Council to act on homelessness NOW by Sally Murrer
Published: 15:23 Wednesday 20 September 2017
As Milton Keynes Council strives desperately to reduce rough sleeping on city streets, another winter of discontent is looming for dozens of homeless people forced to live under canvas. Activists say a third season of consultations by the council is not good enough and immediate action is needed. The MK People’s Assembly this week organised a ‘Sit in Solidarity’ protest on the steps of the city church – the very spot where homeless man Tony Porter died of hypothermia 19 months ago. The tragedy was the start of a grim trio of rough sleeper deaths, culminating in James Owens being found lifeless in his tent under a CMK underpass last October. There are currently 130 people sleeping rough in MK.
Yet, despite the best efforts of charities, volunteers and the council, the Winter Night Shelter and Bus Shelter can accommodate just 46 of them – all with relatively low support needs, claimed assembly chair Kevin Vickers. “We’ve attended two years of meetings with no progress on this issue. We cannot keep quiet as the council try to avoid the issue with another three month winter consultation,” he said. “Homeless people need safe and secure accommodation and support to have a chance to get back on their feet. There are hundreds of empty buildings in Milton Keynes, why are they not being used?” he added. But the council’s cabinet, which last week launched draft proposals for a £300,000 12-point plan to help rough sleepers, insists it is doing its very best. Its Labour leaders blame Tory government cuts for not allowing them to do more. Indeed, within days of the 12-point plan being aired, the council learned it will lose £2.31 million in homelessness funding from central government over the next two years. Councillor Nigel Long, cabinet member for housing, is writing to the two MK MPs urging them to help restore the funding.
Meanwhile the council has put the new ‘Rough Sleeper Reduction Strategy’ out for 12 week of public consultation. It aims to provide a ‘joined-up approach’ from agencies to stop people sleeping rough in the first place, provide an outreach service for people on the streets and find suitable housing. But Mr Long admits tackling the rapidly rising numbers of homelessness in MK will be a ‘huge challenge’.
Design Charrettes Resident involvement and design
/www.involve.org.uk/; web site retrieved on, 2018-11-18
Castle, Vale, Birmingham A Housing Action Trust
web site retrieved on, 2018-09-22